Friday, April 29, 2011

Ubuntu 11.04 review




Every one was waiting for Ubuntu 11.04, because of the new Unity interface which is totally different from the Gnome, well Ubuntu 11.04 was just released yesterday and I installed it on my machine so I thought I could write what I think of it:

Installation is getting better this version:
  1. The interface is better
  2. Auto detect of existing Ubuntu installation, so you can just upgrade.
  3. Auto detect of existing Ubuntu installation, so you can overwrite it instead of manually choosing the partitions.
  4. Ability to download upgrades and MP3 plugins during installation to save time

A better looking grub loader ( it is not in 10.04 I don't know if it was there in 10.10 or not)

Unity :)

Generally it is just great, I think people were scared that it would not be simple as much as GNOME is or it will have performance issues, but I can tell you it is simple and light.
Still I am not really satisfied with the default applications like Banshee instead of Rythmbox, but it seems like the new Libre Office is better than Open Office, anyway you can install and uninstall whatever you want, you can even remove Unity and install GNOME if you don't like it.

Best thing is that you can access things easily and faster because Unity offers suggestions for you when you open the menu.

Few things I don't like about Unity is that it is not as customizable as GNOME where you could add and edit panels, but I think more developers will provide applets that can be used with Unity.

Ubuntu software center:

You now can review apps and write comments about the applications.


No comments:

Post a Comment